Sunday 28 October 2018

Kids, peas, and the sorites problem

My son is a picky eater, and not a fan of vegetables, so in order to encourage him to eat a wider variety of food, he has a "super eating" food list. If he eats a food he's not keen on, he gets it written on his list. When he has 20 instances on the list, he gets a (non-food) treat of some sort.

Generally, the list technique is the only thing that has helped him eat a wider variety of foods, but being a child, he does like to push me on it. And today he unknowingly presented me with the Sorites problem with his peas.

Me: "Here's your tea. I've given you some peas; I know you're not all that keen on them, so if you eat all of them they'll count for your list."
Him: "Peas? Ugh! Do I really have to eat all of them?"
Me: "Yes please. Eat all of them."
Him: "But if I left a tiny one then would you still write it on my list? One little pea won't make a difference will it?"
Me: "Hmm, well I suppose if it really is only one pea that you're leaving then yes I guess I'd still count it for your list."
Him: "Because a pea is only small."
Me: "I suppose so..."
Him: "So if I leave two peas then that would be OK too wouldn't it?"
Me: "Well why would you be leaving two peas? Eat them."
Him: "But you said one pea doesn't make a difference, so two peas doesn't make a difference either."
Me: "Eat your peas please. I'll let you leave one, but not two."
Him: "Hmph. Well that doesn't seem fair."

He ate all but one of the peas, and I counted it for his list, but I was laughing a little to myself about being presented with the Sorites problem by my little philosopher in the making.

But next time, I should probably just stick to "Eat all your peas, and don't leave any"!

No comments:

Post a Comment