Wednesday 21 November 2018

Black Friday: No thanks - just bargains

It's that time of year again - Black Friday. The time of year when people clamour for bargains, enthusiastically elbowing others out of the way in a frenzy of desperation to save a few quid buying consumer goods at knock-down prices. That time of year when, for a week or more, people are glued to their smart devices (even more so than usual), in the crucial search for stuff.

Apparently, Black Friday has been with us in England for eight years now. It's long been an American trend; it's the Friday after Thanksgiving. But whilst Brits - and probably numerous other countries - have been only too happy to adopt the greedy fight for cheap electronics that encapsulates Black Friday, we seem to have no interest at all in the ethos which precedes it in America. We don't want to give thanks; we just want bargains.

I know that Thanksgiving has its history in colonialism, pilgrims, and has a religious spin to it, but even though I'm an atheist and a Brit, I think there is something worthwhile in the festival which we would do well to adopt. A general disposition of gratefulness is something that is probably quite good for one's mental health. Life is busy and it's no wonder that there's been a growth in mindfulness and relaxing activities like adult colouring books, meditation, yoga etc. Reminding ourselves of everything we are grateful for is a worthwhile exercise in itself, even if we don't say it out loud around a table full of turkey and pumpkin pie the way Americans do. I know I'm grateful for good health, my wonderful son who brings joy and meaning to my life, and for my family and friends. I'm grateful that I've recently started a relationship after nearly 7 years of being single. And I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to study for a PhD and that I'm being funded to do so.

All of this gratitude - the very essence of Thanksgiving - seems intrinsically valuable, and it's a real shame we don't adopt this festival. But what's more sad is that we're only too happy to adopt Black Friday, the fight for cut price electronics, clothing and suchlike, whereby we're implicitly reinforcing in ourselves the idea that garnering more stuff will make us happier.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical: perhaps everyone uses Black Friday (which has somehow morphed into a week or more of sales) to purchase gifts for their loved ones in time for Christmas. And they use these gifts to spread the love and bring about gratefulness, wellbeing and happiness in those around them. Yes, that probably happens to some extent. But I just don't think that these HD TV's and Playstations and iPhones are all being given as gifts. And maybe it's none of my business - if people want to buy an iPhone cheaply for themselves then why shouldn't they? Well, yes, my revulsion at the fight for bargains is not iron-clad proof that Black Friday is somehow morally wrong.

I just wish that we would adopt the disposition of gratefulness for what we already have, and appreciate that the people around us are what really makes life worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment